Sunday, February 8, 2009

Our Miracle

My sister suggested that I write to all of you about the last few days as we truly witnessed a miracle. On Thursday, Emerson became very lethargic with her hands, feet and lips turning blue. She was breathing, but she was "out of it." Not moving at all, as if in a complete trance. I immediately took her to the Children's Clinic where they evaluated her and couldn't find anything wrong. The doctor thought that she may have had some sort of seizure, but suggested she be transported to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center in Fayetteville. Upon arriving in Fayetteville, they had a very hard time starting an IV and drawing blood. I thought witnessing that would be the worst part. Negative. They came back and told us that she was "severely anemic" and would most likely require a blood transfusion. They did not know where the loss of blood was coming from. Their suggestion was that she be transported to Duke Medical Center. After a long ride to Duke, the doctor came in and told us that the most likely cause of all of this was either Leukemia or Blood Cancer. Can you say absolute devastation? She would likely require a bone marrow sample. Her IV was clogged and had to be removed. The next several hours were horrendous as they poked and prodded approximately 20+ times to get an IV and draw more blood. They finally got it after about 3 hours of trying off and on. When we would ask if there was a chance that this was all just viral (since she had thrown up a few times earlier in the week and still had diarrhea), the doctor said it could, but he still seemed to be on the Leukemia path.




Friday morning (after about 30 minutes of sleep for Chris and I), Emerson woke up seeming better. Hallelujah! She was in better spirits, though still very clingy. The doctor came in and told us that one of the tests showed improvement, but he didn't seem to want to tell us much at that time. They drew more blood and told us that the Oncologist team would be in shortly. What a terrifying wait that was. Two doctors came in and told us that they rarely get to come in and give parents good news, but that Emerson's levels were perfect. Medically, there was no explanation because they could not have gotten better on their own in such a short time. The only explanation that they had was that Cape Fear Valley had messed up on her tests. There were three separate tests. Three. All of them showed horrible results. As I mentioned, Duke tested her blood twice because they could not believe what they saw. They were baffled. I asked the doctor if he thought it was a miracle and he said he would 100% take that.

We still do not know why she had that episode on Thursday or why she was so sick all day. Her CT scans showed to be perfect. Her EKG was perfect. They sent us on our way Friday afternoon with a clean bill of health. I am so thankful for all of your prayers and well wishes. I believe a miracle was performed on our little girl. She had a tremendous amount of people praying for her and I give God ALL the glory. Now, I ask you this...Do you believe in miracles?

No comments: